Friday, November 19, 2010

Talk Story Conundrum

I ran into my brother-in-love (my BF's brother) the other day at the farmers market. He's like so many folks out there, overweight and is starting to search for answers. My boyfriend has, since we've been together, dropped two pant sizes (from 36 and growing to a steady 32) and is in top-shape and the question is always, "What's the secret? What are you doing?". Most of the time he tries to share what he can with those who ask, but we realize (from experience and practicality) that there is so much information out there and what we do, as far as an eating lifestyle-- being completely different than the mainstream-- it's hard to put it in a nutshell. 

And so I found myself answering my brother-in-love's questions at the farmers market. I just ran over a couple basics like change your cooking oil to coconut oil, don't put sugar in everything, and try to avoid supermarket food! He doubted me when I suggested he use coconut oil and eat coconut (even though we live in Hawaii!) thanks to the bad press saturated fats have got. I smiled and told him, the proof is in the pudding. We both laughed. On my way home I couldn't help but think of more and more things I wanted to add to that conversation. It's occasions and conversations like this that inspired this blog, not only because my boyfriends family is immense (nine brothers and sisters alone and oodles of cousins!) all with the same issues as the mainstream population at large -- no pun intended.

It is my hopes that this blog can serve as a pathway out of suffering for many and as the shifting gears occurs to create more "nutshell" like content that can be distributed both on and off-line. If there are any specific questions you'd like to know about please ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment